How often do you eat?
When I eat, I look at the clock and try not to eat again for a minimum of two hours. I eat three meals a day and at least three snacks a day. I feel it is better to have multiple healthy snacks than get to the point where I feel like I am starving. I don’t want to end up sitting on the couch eating a big bag of chips while watching all the tempting food commercials on TV. Doing something else with my hands, such as knitting, crocheting, or designing my own website usually keeps my mind off of food.
What do you drink?
Water, milk, and occasionally a little bit of 100% juice or hot chocolate. I have never liked coffee, tea, or alcoholic beverages. Lemonade and smoothies (unless you make smoothies yourself) usually have too much sugar in them. I haven’t found regular or diet soft drinks or sports drinks to be a good beverage choice.
What are good sources of protein?
I eat full fat versions of milk, cheese, cottage cheese, and yogurt. I also eat eggs, nuts, and a variety of meat, such as: ground beef (I buy 93% lean/7% fat), steak, pork chops, ham, bacon, sausage, pepperoni, chicken, turkey, roasts, and stew meat. The key is being conscious of serving sizes and the added sugars in foods high in protein, like yogurt.
Are you currently taking any kind of diabetes medication?
No. However, I did buy an inexpensive glucose meter with all the testing supplies at my pharmacy. It is simple to use and it allows me to monitor how I’m doing instead of waiting to get tested at my doctor’s office once or twice a year.
What is your current weight loss?
23.5 lbs. (updated 6/21/17)
What size plates do you use?
Five ounce paper cups, dessert plates, ramekin dishes, small plastic containers, and snack size zipper baggies are my best friends, because they help keep my portion sizes small.
When you do exercise, what do you do?
1. Walk our adorable little dogs outside.*
2. Twist on my Simply Fit Board. For more information, visit https://www.simplyfitboard.com/.
3. Walk around the halls in our mall.* Sadly, our mall does not have any businesses in it that sell women’s clothing or shoes. It is more like a complex that houses government offices, a dog groomer, a ballet studio, and a few other local businesses. Thankfully, it does not have a food court either.
*Using a device to track my steps, I have discovered that I normally walk 3000 to 4000 steps a day. I have also discovered that when I walk at my normal pace, I walk about 1500 steps in 15 minutes. That means that if I walk 1 hour and 15 minutes per day in addition to my regular activity, I should get my goal of 10,000 steps per day.
What results have you seen?
When I lower my sugar intake:
1. I do not get as many migraine headaches.
2. I do not need to drink as much water during the day.
3. I do not need to urinate frequently.
4. It is easier to bend over.
5. My clothes are not bursting at the seams.
6. My PMS symptoms are not as severe.
7. I rarely get heartburn.
8. I have less pain and inflammation.
What abbreviations did you use on your website?:
g = grams
lbs. = pounds
oz. = ounces
PMS – Premenstrual Syndrome