How often do you eat?
When I eat, I look at the clock and try not to eat again for a minimum of two hours. I eat three meals a day and at least three snacks a day. I feel it is better to have multiple healthy snacks than get to the point where I feel like I am starving. I don’t want to end up sitting on the couch eating a big bag of chips while watching all the tempting food commercials on TV. Doing something else with my hands, such as knitting or crocheting, helps to keep my mind off of food.
What do you drink?
Water, milk, and occasionally a little bit of 100% juice or hot chocolate. I have never liked coffee, tea, or alcoholic beverages. Lemonade and smoothies (unless you make smoothies yourself) usually have too much sugar in them. I haven’t found regular or diet soft drinks or sports drinks to be a good beverage choice.
What are good sources of protein?
I eat full fat versions of milk, cheese, cottage cheese, and yogurt. I also eat eggs, nuts, and a variety of meat, such as: ground beef (I usually buy 93% lean/7% fat), steak, pork chops, ham, bacon, sausage, pepperoni, chicken, turkey, roasts, and stew meat. The key is being conscious of serving sizes and the added sugars in foods high in protein, like yogurt.
Are you currently taking any kind of diabetes medication?
No. However, I did buy an inexpensive glucose meter with all the testing supplies at my pharmacy. It is simple to use and it allows me to monitor how I’m doing instead of waiting to get tested at my doctor’s office once a year.
What is your current A1C level?
The last four A1C tests I have taken have been between 6.0 and 6.4 which is in the prediabetic range. (updated 2/12/20)
What size plates do you use?
Five ounce paper cups, dessert plates, ramekin dishes, small plastic containers, and snack size zipper baggies are my best friends, because they help keep my portion sizes small.
When you do exercise, what do you do?
2. Yoga at https://anywhere.alchemy365.com/ (for a fee) and cnn.com (for free). If there is a move I can’t do, I simply replace it with a move I can do. Some days, I do an online class and some days I do my favorite yoga poses on my own. I do yoga in five to 45 minute sessions. Sometimes I do yoga poses for a specific time period, and sometimes I do shorter sessions throughout the day depending on my schedule, physical needs, and emotional needs.
What results have you seen?
When I lower my sugar intake and exercise:
1. I do not get migraine headaches.
2. I do not need to drink as much water during the day.
3. I do not need to urinate frequently.
4. It is easier to bend over.
5. My clothes are not bursting at the seams.
6. My PMS symptoms are not as severe.
7. I rarely get heartburn.
8. I have less pain and inflammation.
9. I do not feel depressed.
10. I have an overall sense of wellbeing.
Single Use Plastics:
When buying ingredients that come in single use plastic packages, containers, and bottles, make sure to recycle or dispose of it properly so it does not affect the environment negatively.
What abbreviations did you use on your website?:
g = grams
lbs. = pounds
oz. = ounces
PMS – Premenstrual Syndrome